Byungkyu Brian Park
CTS Associate Director, Research
University of Virginia
Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering
351 McCormick Road
PO Box 400742
Brian Park, PhD, is an Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Virginia. Prior to joining at the University of Virginia, he was a Research Fellow at the National Institute of Statistical Sciences and a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at North Carolina State University. He also worked at the Texas Transportation Institute in Texas.
He is an editorial board member of the International Journal of Sustainable Transportation and the KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering. He is an elected member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society.
In 2008, Dr. Park spent his summer at the Netherlands Organization (TNO) Mobility and Logistics Department as a visiting researcher and provided research directions to their future simulation modeling.
Dr. Park received the B.S. and the M.S. from the Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, in 1993 and 1995, respectively, and the Ph.D. from the Texas A&M University in 1998.
Dr. Park is a recipient of a Charley V. Wootan Award (for best Ph.D. dissertation) from the Council of University Transportation Centers in 1999. In 2004, he received Jack H. Dillard Outstanding Paper Award from the Virginia Center for Transportation Innovation and Research.
- Cyber Physical System for Transportation
- Connected Vehicles Applications
- Sustainable Transportation System
- Simulation Modeling Applications
- Transportation Safety
- Stochastic Optimization
- Applications of Advanced Statistical Methods
Research and Publications
Recent Conference Presentations
- Hu, J. and B. B. Park, “Transit signal priority with connected vehicle considering conflicting requests, ITS World Congress 2015, Bordeaux, France, Oct. 5-9, 2015
- Chen, Y., J. Park, I. Yun, and B. B. Park, “Benefits of Quantifying Actuated Traffic Signal Control: A Before and After Case Study,” EASTS Conference, Cebu City, Philippines, Sep. 10-14, 2015
- Lee, J. and B. B. Park, “Investigating Communications Performance for Automated Vehicle-based Intersection Control under Connected Vehicle Environment,” IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Seoul, Korea, June 28 – July 1, 2015
- Hu, J., B. Park, R. Robinson, and A. Sidhyaye, “Near-Side Bus Stop With Queue Jumper Lane Under Connected Vehicles,” The 21st ITS World Congress 2014, Detroit, MI, September 7-11, 2014
- Jastrzembski, E., B. Park and J. Son, “Comparative Evaluation of Fuel Consumption Estimation Models,” The 21st ITS World Congress 2014, Detroit, MI, September 7-11, 2014
- Lee. J., J. Bared, B. Park, “Mobility Impacts of Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) under Mixed Traffic Conditions,” The 21st ITS World Congress 2014, Detroit, MI, September 7-11, 2014
- Hu, J., B. Park, J. Lee, Y-J Moon, J. Lee, “A Rationale for Incorporating Intelligent Transportation Systems Applications’ Effect into the HCM Signalized Facilities Analysis Procedure,” The 21st ITS World Congress 2014, Detroit, MI, September 7-11, 2014
Recent Invited/Keynote Presentations
- Hanyang University, “Connected and Automated Vehicle Applications,” Seoul, Korea, October 30, 2015
- Special Lecture, Korea Automobile Testing and Research Institute, “An Integrated Framework for Assessing Connected and/or Automated Vehicles,” S. Korea, October 29, 2015
- Invited Talk, “A Cyber-Physical System (CPS) Platform for Assuring Ultimate Safety in Smart Vehicles and Transportation Systems,” The 6th Symposium for Global Research Laboratory (GRL) Program, Jeju Island, S. Korea, October 26, 2015
- Invited Talk, WDCITE meeting, “Traffic Simulation Modeling Applications – Taste of Future Transportation,” Arlington, VA, August 13, 2015
- Keynote, UKC Conference, Civil, Environmental and Architecture Symposium, “Should Roadway be Managed as a Reservation or Queuing System?” Atlanta, GA, July 29 – August 1, 2015
- Invited Talk, VWMRC 2015, “Highway Reservation System,” Vienna, VA, April 4, 2015
- James Madison University, “Toward Sustainable Transportation System: Harnessed by Connected Vehicle Technology,” Harrisonburg, VA, March 2, 2015
- Invited Lecture, Transportation Safety Grand Conference, “Will Convergence Technology Improve Safety?” Seoul, Korea, December 10, 2014
- Keynote, UKC Conference, Civil, Environmental and Architecture Symposium, “Sustainable Transportation System Harnessed by Wireless Cars,” San Francisco, CA, August 6-9, 2014
- Invited Lecture, International Workshop on CPS, “Sustainable Transportation Harnessed by Wireless Cars” Seoul, Korea, July 9, 2014
- Invited Talk, Jeju Development Institute, “Transportation Policies and Emerging Technologies in the USA,” Jeju, Korea, July 11, 2014
- Invited Talk, KSEA Virginia Regional Conference, “Future Transportation Harnessed by Connected Vehicles,” 2014 Virginia Regional Conference, Charlottesville, VA, April 19-20, 2014
Su, P. and B. B. Park, “Auction-Based Highway Reservation System An Agent-Based Simulation Study,” Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 60, 2015, pp. 211-226
Hu, J., M. F. Fontaine, B. B. park, and J. Ma, “Field Evaluations of an Adaptive Traffic Signal Control System Using Private Sector Probe Data,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, in press
Hu, J., B. B. Park and Y-J Lee, “Coordinated Transit Signal Priority Supporting Transit Progression Under Connected Vehicle Technology,” Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 55, 2015, pp. 393-408
Hale, D., B. B. Park, A. Stevanovic, P. Su, and J. Ma, “Optimality Versus Run Time for Isolated Signalized Intersections,” Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 55, June 2015, pp. 191-202
So, J., B. Park, S. M. Wolfe, and G. Dedes, “Development and Validation of a Vehicle Dynamics-Integrated Traffic Safety Simulation Environment for Enhanced Surrogate Safety Measures,” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 5, 2015
Goodall, N. J., B. L. Smith and B. Park, “Microscopic Estimation of Freeway Vehicle Positions from the Behavior of Connected Vehicles,” Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, in press
Su, P., J. Lee and B. Park, “Calibrating Communications Simulator for Connected Vehicles Application,” Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, in press
So, J., B. B. Park and I. Yun, “Classification Modeling Approach for Vehicle Dynamics Model-Integrated Traffic Simulation Assessing Surrogate Safety,” Journal of Advanced Transportation, Vol. 49, 2015, pp. 416-433
Son, J., M. Park, and B. B. Park, “The Effect of Age, Gender and Roadway Environment on the Acceptance and Effectiveness of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems,” Transportation Research, Part F, Vol. 31, 2015, pp. 12-24
Park, B. B., Y. Chen, H. Cho and I. Yun, “Quantifying the Benefits of Adaptive Split Feature on the Operation of Coordinated Actuated Traffic Signal System,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 19, Issue 1, 2015, pp. 311-317
So, J., G. Dedes, B. B. Park, S. HosseinyAlamdary, and D. Grejner-Brzezinska, “Development and Evaluation of an Enhanced Surrogate Safety Assessment Framework,” Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 50, Jan. 2015, pp. 51-67
Hu, J., B. Park and A. E. Parkany, “Transit Signal Priority with Connected Vehicle Technology,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2418, TRB, National Research Council, 2014, pp. 20-29
Goodall, N., B. Park and B. L. Smith, “Microscopic Estimation of Arterial Vehicle Positions in a Low Penetration Rate Connected Vehicle Environment,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 140, No. 10, 2014
Park, B. B. and J. Lee, “Evaluation Framework of Cyber Physical Systems for Transportation,” Telecommunications Review, Vol. 24, No. 4, 2014, pp. 481-491 (Featured Article)
Jahangiri, A., P. Murray-Tuite, S. G. Machiani, B. Park and B. Wolshon, “Modeling and Assessing Crossing Elimination for No-Notice Evacuations,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2459, TRB, National Research Council, 2014, pp. 91-100
Kim, N., B. Park and K. Lee, “A knowledge based freight management decision support system incorporating economies of scale: multimodal minimum cost ﬂow optimization approach,” Information Technology Management, December 2014 (doi: 10.1007/s10799-014-0209-x)
Lee, J., B. Park and I. Yun, “Cumulative Travel-time Responsive (CTR) Real-Time Intersection Control Algorithm under the Connected Vehicles Environment,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering
Park, B. and K. Malakorn, “Life Cycle Assessment on Cooperative Vehicle Infrastructure Systems,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
Su, P., B. Park, J. Lee and Y. Sun, “Proof-of-Concept Study for a Roadway Reservation System: an Integrated Traffic Management Approach,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
Goodall, N. J., B. L. Smith, and B. Park, “Traffic Signal Control with Connected Vehicles,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
Machiani, S. G., P. Murray-Tuite, A. Jahangiri, S. Liu, B. Park, Y-C Chiu, and B. Wolshon, “No-Notice Evacuation Management: Ramp Closures under Varying Budgets and Demand Scenarios,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
Lee, J., B. Park, K. Malakorn, and J. So, “Sustainability Assessments of Cooperative Vehicle Intersection Control at an Urban Corridor,” Transportation Research, Part C, Vol. 32, 2013, pp. 193-206
Yun, I. and B. Park, “Stochastic Optimization for Coordinated Actuated Traffic Signal Systems,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 137, No. 7, 2012, pp. 819-829
Lee, J. and B. Park, “Development and Evaluation of a Cooperative Vehicle Intersection Control Algorithm under the Connected Vehicles Environment,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 13, No. 1, March 2012, pp. 81-90
Kwak, J., B. Park, and J. Lee, “Evaluating the Impacts of Traffic Signal Optimization on Vehicle Emissions and Fuel Consumption,” Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol. 35, No. 2, 2012, pp. 145-160
Lee, J. and B. Park, “Determining Lane Use Distributions Using Basic Freeway Segment Density Measures,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 138, No. 2, 2012, pp. 210-217
Agbolosu-Amison, S., I. Yun and B. Park, “Quantifying Benefits of Cooperative Vehicle Infrastructure System using a Dynamic Gap-out Feature at an Actuated Signalized Intersection,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2012, pp. 433-440
Yun, I., B. Park, C. K. Lee, and Y. T. Oh, “Comparison of Emergency Vehicle Preemption Methods using a Hardware in the Loop Simulation,” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 6, 2012, pp. 1057-1063